Who is eligible for the services?

Children who have mental, behavioral, or emotional illness, are at risk of out-of-home placement due to their clinical needs, and need services more intensive than outpatient clinic care are eligible if they also meet at least two of the following criteria:

  • Exhibit difficulty in cognitive ability such that they are unable to recognize personal danger or significantly inappropriate social behavior. For example, a child who is acting out in such a fashion that there is risk of harm to herself/himself or to others
  • Exhibit such inappropriate behavior that repeated interventions by mental health, social services, or judicial system are necessary
  • Have difficulty in establishing or maintaining normal interpersonal relationships to a degree that they are at risk of hospitalization or out-of-home placement because of conflicts with family or community

Contact Us

Email Karen Grabowski or call at 804-694-9154 for more information.

Show All Answers

1. What are Intensive In-home Services?
2. Who is eligible for the services?
3. Who pays for the services?
4. Our child has been hospitalized many times when he becomes a danger to himself or others. How do intensive in-home services address that situation?
5. Why should the family manage a psychiatric emergency when the child's behavior can be managed more safely in a hospital?
6. May parents request intensive in-home services?
7. Where can I find more information?